Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's My Job

Today was my first day in the office. I felt like a first grader getting ready for school - had my clothes picked out, made my lunch, walked with a friend (Gwen) to the bus stop, etc.

The office, however, is freakishly quiet. I mean, the only sounds you hear are keyboards and the air conditioner. Even when people are on the phone they're nearly mute. I swear, you could almost hear someone chewing their food if you tried. It'll probably be the best diet ever for me - paranoia. I mean, today I go to one of the water coolers that is in the middle of the office area and even the gulping sound that it makes as the water empties out sounded like it was played over a loud speaker. I kept looking around and no one seemed to notice, or maybe they're used to it?

Also, the floor plan of the office is nearly 100% cubicles with only about eight offices. And, the cubicles have low partitions - about waist / rib cage high depending how tall you are. You can see everybody's computer screens from your desk and see what everybody is doing. Very bizarre. I'll probably develop a slight nervous twitch thinking someone is behind me.

Things went smoothly overall - a nice first day. Productive, but not overly hectic.

Now, I probably should get started on some other minor things. You know, like finding an apartment, opening a bank account, actually seeing something British besides a double-decker red bus and ridiculously high prices...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to follow you through your London adventure! Thanks for taking the time to set this up!!

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd see the day . . . but welcome to the Web 2.0 revolution. Next on your task list: Facebook page. ;) Glad to hear your arrived safe & sound and are relaxed enough in your new surroundings to work on jigsaw puzzles!!! Keep us updated.

Tiggs said...

ditto andrea :)

welcome to bloggy world megs :)

Nancy said...

Ewww!! Waist high cubicles suck. And really quiet is creepy. Oh well, I'm sure you'll get so busy you will just take it in stride soon.

Got the ribs and Graeters today. Thanks a ton! I'll wait for M to have the ribs, but I may have to open the ice cream on my own...