Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

This past Friday was my first "full day Friday" in SIX years. From 2002-2004 I was at Thunderbird for grad school where I had no classes on Fridays. Then from 2004-2008, we had flex time at SLNGNA. Therefore, for a 37.5 hour work-week, I was at work 9.5 hours M-Th (including lunch) and then only 3.5 hours on Friday.

Needless to say, this past Friday, and every Friday going forward, is going to seem excruciatingly long. I was dragging so much Friday afternoon that I decided to treat myself to Starbucks.

You might think that's nothing special, it is over here. Take your US salary and divide by 2. Ok, that is your salary in pounds (GBP). Then you go to Starbucks, but there is no change in price. Therefore, if you spend $3.50 for a drink there, now you will spend 3.5 GBP, not 1.75. Basically, the menu has the same number figures in the US and UK, but in the UK it's pounds, so you have to multiply by 2 to get to USD. Sorry if that's a bit confusing. Basically, I paid $6 USD for a chai latte and loved every minute of it. Starbucks will most definitely be a monthly treat!

2 comments:

Howard said...

You're in London. I know Starbucks are everywhere, but learn to like tea. :) There must be tea shoppes around?

Megs said...

Very true, Howard. But, what I needed was the super jolt of caffeine!