Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Have Found Me A Home

I finally signed for an apartment! I did this last Thursday after work. I originally went to look at1 bedroom flats in the area the previous Saturday, then looked at places in the West Hampstead / Kilburn area last Wednesday, and then decided I liked one of the first places better. It is by far the largest of all that I saw (and please do not think that means it is large, it is still tiny, as everything here is – small cars, short buildings, narrow walkways, narrow seats – but large prices). Anyway.

It is right near the Royal Victoria Docks DLR (Tube) stop and the ExCel center. It reminds me of the Fort Point Channel area in Boston that has been under development the past few years. Marissa (friend and co-worker) also lives there, but in a much larger 2 bedroom, 8th floor, water view (she’s on a different contract with the company than I am – long story and not worth getting into at this point – plus, I’m a bit more, shall we say, reserved with my money and would rather live someplace a little smaller and save some money than the reverse). It's the 2nd floor, 2nd one from the right.


It's all brand new development, which I've realized I like. This will be my first time in a 'development' (I don't count Phoenix since while that was a sprawling apartment complex, it was only 2 stories), and France didn't count since everything about the border town we were in was horrible.

I'm on the 2nd floor (well, it's U.S. 2nd floor on the side where the patio is, but U.S. 3rd floor from entering the building on the other side - that 'back side' is ground level; the 'front side' is also ground level, but the ground has been built up a story). Anyway, the patio stretches across the living room and the bedroom. The bathroom is tiny w/o any shelf space besides what's in the mirror vanity, so I'll get something at Ikea.
The drawbacks: no shelf space in bathroom; no window in bathroom; kitchen isn't sectioned off w/ a wall or island; Zone 3 on the Tube; carpeted whereas I realize I prefer hardwood (I'll have to get an accent rug or two to brighten it a little); don't know how much direct natural light I'll get (but maybe a positive since w/o AC it could get warm)

The positives: super close to DLR stop (so I feel safe) and 24-hr concierge desk w/ all glass and that is right next to my building; I go 1 stop on DLR and get on Jubilee line with no other transfers, so I’ll be likely to have a seat every morning; all new appliances; patio; larger than any other 1-bed I saw in that area; Marissa is the next building; view from patio (to the side) is of O2 center (Millennium Dome) and Canary Wharf and sunset.

I asked for the mattress and bed to be removed. I figure the dining table there I can put on the patio. And I asked for one of the couches to be removed. We'll see what happens!


In the dockland water area, there are sailboats anchored there (not too large) and what appears to be a water school of sorts. I need to see if I can sail there! It’s relatively easy to get to Canary Wharf – the newest developed part of London – with grocery store, mall, shops, bars and restaurants. Overall, very happy. And, my belongings arrived in country Saturday and the moving company, Rossway, will have possession of them this week. I cannot wait to have my own stuff, my own bed, etc. Living with Gwen is great, but comfort and familiarity are very key, too.
This is the view of the O2 / Millennium Dome and Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs from the walkway in front of my place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened to come across your post from a google alert. Welcome to the Docklands. I have lived here for the last few years and can confirm that you are indeed living in the safest and nicest parts of our wonderful city. Your apartment is the average size and not small by London standards. For more information about the Docklands pick up the free weekly newspapers available inside Cabot Place (big shopping mall in Canary Wharf)

Tiggs said...

yay megs! you have a place and it looks great! have fun getting settled in. hopefully soon it will feel like home :)