Tuesday, May 6, 2008

First Look

My travel to London was fairly non-eventful. I think the most excitement I endured was when I was getting ready to leave at my parents house. I figured I should take a shower before I left - being clean for Immigration is a nice thing I think. But, due to high wind and some rain in the area (I'm guessing), the power went out. Now, the bathroom I use at my parents' house has NO outside light. Just me, the water, the soap, and complete darkness. I don't know what kind of omen that was!

The flight had the usual toddler crying most of the time - and not a 'my ears hurt' type of cry but the screaming kind of 'I'm throwing a temper tantrum' cry. Still, I think I got about 5-6 hours of sleep. Immigration, customs, taking the Gatwick Express train into the city and getting to my friend Gwen's place in West Hampstead was all fairly easy.

Saturday Gwen and I just took it easy - went to the grocery, I unpacked my suitcases, went out for Indian food, and watched movies on TV. It might sound dull and plain to you, but for me, this was perfect! I don't think I could tell you the last Saturday when I could sleep in, when I didn't have an appointment, or have to be somewhere...it was so relaxing to just do whatever, whenever.

Sunday we took it easy in the morning, and then we went for a cookout at Jane's flat in Richmond (WSW of London, by Kew Gardens). Map of area here. There were six of us from the office there and we had lots of fun. So much fun, in fact, that Monday was a very lazy day spent sleeping in and relaxing. I did most of a jigsaw puzzle Jane gave me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I lived in Brentford in '05, which is just to the north of Richmond. One of the more bizarre/fascinating experiences I had there was going for a walk on the footpath along the Thames out there...I don't know if it's b/c it's fairly west of the city, but there were really unsightly boats left to rot on the banks there--I couldn't believe no one had cleaned them up. Compared to how impressive the river looks, say, at Embankment, this was an entirely different story--definitely worth checking out!