Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

For those of you who have talked to me in the past, oh, six months, you are probably sick and tired of me talking about my moving to London. I even had people at church asking "haven't you left yet?"

Literally, this has been a twelve month process. Let me walk you through it...

Background - I've worked as a portfolio analyst for SUEZ LNG North America (SLNGNA) in Boston since Sept 2004. SUEZ's Global LNG (SGLNG, Global) operations have been in London for over eight years. About two years ago, the operations, supply and shipping groups within SLNGNA found out that their jobs, and therefore themselves, were being moved to London. Same overall parent company, but a separate legal entity from SLNGNA. Because of this, it is an internal company transfer and thus one's current boss has as much, if not more of a say in the entire transfer process. It's not as simple as giving one's two week notice and starting a new job.

May 2007 - A job posting for a portfolio analyst with SUEZ Global LNG was listed on SUEZ's internal job board. Imagine my surprise when it seemed more identical to my current job description with SLNGNA than different! I didn't send my resume right away because I wasn't certain about the political atmosphere between SLNGNA and SGLNG, the pending merger between SUEZ and Gaz de France (GdF), and the job responsibilities.

Mid June 2007 - After thinking it over a bit and talking it over with a few friends, I approached Global about the opportunity.

July 2007 - I was given more of the details - responsibilities, compensation, logistics, etc. I got all of this two days before leaving for a two week vacation.

August 2007 - I was back from vacation, but Jane, my soon-to-be Global boss was on vacation for two weeks. Then I was in NYC for a work trip for a week. Voila, end of August.

September 2007 - Jane wanted me to come to London for an exploratory visit asap. My then current boss, Helen, said no. It was budget preparation time and I was needed in Boston. They negotiated and finally I was allowed to travel the week of October 9th.

October 2007 - I visit the London office, stay at the fabulous Hyatt Regency - The Churchill hotel, and get more details, questions answered, etc. I return to Boston and think about it some more.

November 2007 - I accept the offer from Global (or maybe it was late October?). Global then says they want me to start asap, Dec 1, Jan 1 or Feb 1 - a three month transfer period. Helen counters with a transfer occurring after my replacement is hired and trained. After much back-and-forth, 1-May-2008 was settled upon as my official transfer date.

Dec-2007 to April-2008 - I basically begin to prepare for moving. Sorting through my things, booking flights, having fun with friends (that was mainly all I tried to do), and working insane hours in March/April as it was time for another budget forecast update.

May 2008 - I am now the Manager, Portfolio Management for SUEZ Global LNG in London! Whew!

No comments: