Monday, May 26, 2008

Cultural Infidel

With the exception of today, this weekend was quite entertaining, although not too productive. Today, it has rained non-stop since about 7 a.m., so I feel justified in my staying inside and watching 6+ hours worth of movies (this is why I don’t like TV – it rules/ruins my life!). I watched bits & pieces of: Romancing the Stone, Bring it On, Gone With the Wind, Hope Floats, The Princess Bride and something else I cannot remember. See, nothing earth shattering, just a way to pass the time.

Thursday & Friday had Cary from our Houston office in town, so Gwen & I met him for drinks Friday night at The Salt House, a pub by Gwen’s place. It looks inviting from outside, but from the reviews, the food is mediocre. The service wasn’t that great either. And 5 GBP for a double Jameson??? God, I miss Cornwall’s for so many reasons! (Good people, good service, good drinks, good food, good location....)

The next morning, Cary met Gwen and me at her place and we took the bus to Camden Lock Market (est 1974). Quite…interesting. Definitely the grunge, punk, alternative shopping market. Enough incense to serve London.


Having had enough ‘culture’ for about 2 hours, we quickly got on a bus north to Hampstead High Street, a much more ‘dignified’ neighborhood! (It would be like going from Allston to Newbury St. in Boston; or from Short Vine to Hyde Park Square in Cincinnati!) There, we had fun window shopping and had a great lunch at King William IV pub. Gwen bought a purple ball which gave her much amusement, but mortification to Cary and me as it was always bouncing dangerously close to the streets, the elderly, etc.

That night, Amy joined us for dinner at Strada (which was very good Italian food!) and we went to see the play The 39 Steps at the Criterion Theatre in Piccadilly Circus. It is done as a slapstick whodunit. It was originally a novel that was done as a movie 3 times, first by Hitchcock. From what I’ve read, none of the movies are faithful to the book. Overall, it was quite good and my first theatre outing in London!



Sunday, I went back to the American Church in London. Again, it was ok. The main pastor, Rev D'Elia, gave the sermon, but it just didn't do much for me. I'm typing this now while listening to the sermon Quinn gave yesterday at Old South. Quite good. Being able to listen to the whole service online is a blessing and a curse. It is so nice to hear the service, the music, the openness, the faith, etc. But, it is a curse because it makes anything I find at a church in another location pale in comparison!

It was pouring rain Sunday morning, but it cleared up by noon. I then walked to Oxford Street (not far) to the Borders bookstore there - FOUR stories!!! Nearly brought a tear to my eye! It was so great - sooooo many books, a big Starbucks, games and puzzles section - wow. What a place! I must not go often, else I fear my bank account will deplete quickly.

Now, time to get ready for another week of work. At least I can now say I've done something cultural in London! Oh, and this car is actually for sale.

No comments: