Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Take Another Road

At lunch yesterday, talking about ‘what would your dream job be’ – or rather, your dream way to spend your days. Of course, we all said something like sitting in a field reading a book. To which point Kevin said, well you could become a book editor and then you could sit in a field and read. To which I commented that having such a job would actually then mean attending meetings, having deadlines, etc.

But, as I was thinking about it, my dream job does not involve looking at Excel all day, does not really involve sitting at a desk all day, and doesn’t really need to focus on LNG. I think I’m so disgruntled with the whole intercompany fights (Suez London vs Suez North America) that it has taken the fun out of the business.

For my top three dream jobs, I came up with: Something along the lines of (1) Vulcanologist / Geologist / Storm Chaser / etc.; (2) builder / construction / electrician / etc.; and rounding out the third choice, something to do with teaching / university administration / etc. The problem with the first choice is that it involves degrees in mathematics, physics, etc. The second would involve some of the same, plus years of apprenticeship; and the third is appealing because it involves helping people learn and grow, but the politics, parents and paperwork is too much.

So, if you could name your top three dream jobs, what would they be? And what could you do now to start achieving one of them?

5 comments:

Howard said...

I think the second would be much less training than the first.

As you may have guessed I've been wondering roughly the same things. 1. Astronomer 2. Supreme Court Justice (or maybe lawyer) or constitutional scholar 3. Film critic. The first two obviously involve a lot of schooling. The 3rd involves seeing a lot of bad films. But I guess the thing is, if you really love the job, you put up with those things.

Tiggs said...

well I thought I had mine, but it turned out that isn't so.
1. forensic investigator/CSI
2. professional triathlete
3. heiress/philanthropist
I could go back and get a chemistry degree to do #1, but I am too lazy, too cheap and too happy having money to go back to school and be a poor student. To do #2, I need to be job free in order to train and I also need to be wayyyyy faster than I am naturally. #3...its all about luck and circumstances and pretty much not gonna happen!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is fun!

1. Samantha Brown/Anthony Bourdain-type travel show host

2. Heiress/philanthropist (stealing from Cassie)

3. Time traveler

With absolutely no experience in radio/tv, #1 is likely a stretch. #2 requires an ambitious husband, and I've learned the hard way that ambitious men are evil. #3 requires a solid understanding of quantum physics, and science has never been my forte. Perhaps I should start working on #4: Amish carpenter. Oddly enough, that's probably the most realistic of my "wish" list :).

Unknown said...

This is what I've got so far:

1) best-selling fiction author, inc. international book tours, speaking engagements, etc.

2) high-end specialty baking company (wedding cakes, etc.)

In the first I get to be creative through writing and in the second through cooking--what could be better?

Nancy said...

Hmmm....

I want my cat's job. Wait, I kind of have it already.