Monday, June 23, 2008

License to Chill

Ruminations from Saturday morning…

I feel more alive and, I can’t think of the word, but something along the lines of anticipation/excitement than I have in a long while. Just sitting here on a Saturday morning in my PJ’s, with a cuppa tea, reading a book, listening to music. I feel as if every possibility is in front of me – that I have the freedom of choice to decide what I will do today. I didn’t have to get up, showered and dressed and out the door for a day that was planned with errands, meetings, and events from morning through night, as had been the case since last fall.

There is something so civilized about being able to wake up without alarm, get a cuppa tea, and crawl back into bed to finish a book (Out Stealing Horses). It’s like that quotation that is painted on the wall of the Borders Book Store on Newbury & Bolyston Sts in Boston’s Back Bay "When I'm near the end of a book, I need to sleep in the same room with it." - Joan Didion

Sure, the fact that it is a foggy, drizzly, Saturday morning helps matters and adds to the aura of the morning, but it’s still nice nonetheless. And, it does much to reinforce the fact that those of us who have such luxuries are truly lucky – we do not have to get up to plow fields, tend farms, work machinery, work three jobs, care for others, etc. We have the luxury of being able to relax and enjoy our own lives.

I hope your Saturday morning was equally as enjoyable, whatever you chose to do.

1 comment:

Tiggs said...

I don't drink tea, but I'm assuming that "cuppa" is a British expression?