Monday, June 16, 2008

Champagne Si, Aqua No

Where to begin??? I think the thing that best sums it up is that it is company policy that pictures are not to be posted online (blogs, facebook, etc.) (Which makes me question the fact that people actually have to be told that pictures of coworkers who have been drinking all day should not be posted online.) That being said, the pictures below are just of scenery and do not show people nor anything related to the party events.

It was at the Manor House, southwest of London. Everyone met there at 11:30 in the morning, and the bar opened at noon and a good bbq lunch was at 12:30. All afternoon was spent sitting around and talking. At one point, a few women got the soccer ball out to kick it around, but soon the men took over and it became a full-on testosterone-filled match. Kind of lost its allure of fun, and certainly meant a lot more people (women) sitting out. It became uber-competitive, to the point of being ridiculous – I mean, it was just a company outing!

I did take a walk in the surrounding fields with Gwen and Valerie which was nice and relaxing. Otherwise, I just sat around all day relaxing (and blowing my nose; stupid cold!). It was typical London weather – chilly, yet warm; sunny yet very cloudy. At least there was no rain!

Dinner was at 7:45; mind you, the bar was open continuously all afternoon and there was no food between lunch and dinner. The food was ok, nothing spectacular, but not horrible. I ended up going back to my room around 9:30 right when dinner was ending and the dancing was starting because something I ate at dinner did NOT agree with me. And, if you know me, you know this was no major disappointment as I (1) don’t like dancing, and (2) like to go to bed early.

Yes, I said I went to my room. This was an ‘overnight optional’ company party! For those people who did not want to take a bus back at 5 p.m., there was the option for spending the night. The people in the London office like to party – some of them stayed up until 3 a.m.! Cripes! Needless to say, a lot of champagne was consumed by the group (it's very popular here, just like in the States you'd order a glass of wine). I only had a few Jameson & Gingers.

Here are some of the scenery pictures.


No comments: