Monday, February 9, 2009

USPS

First of all, let me say I am a HUGE fan of the USPS ; in fact, I think the best speaker I heard in my two years at T-bird was from a USPS man. As a business - logistics, finance, etc. - it is fascinating. I mean, every year more and more addresses are added, and the USPS delivers to them. There is the whole fleet issue - maintenance, fuel, drive times, etc. Health care costs. And all of this with declining usage.

Second of all, for those of you who sent me birthday cards last week - THANK YOU. I got them in office in Paris today - what a great pick-me-up on a Monday afternoon.

My point - how come when the rate is $0.94 to mail a letter, a letter made it through with only $0.84 in postage? And why did some envelopes make it with "U.K." as the country, but one was crossed out by the USPS and "United Kingdom" written in its place. To my knowledge, no other country goes by UK, right?

Yes, things like this are what I think about and what perplex me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

". . . but one was crossed out by the USPS and 'United Kingdom' written in its place."

That was mine! I wrote UK. I then handed it to the nice man at the post office, and he attacked my card with a pen and said, "We have to cross out UK and spell out United Kingdom. It helps to do everything just right to get it there as fast as possible." I wasn't about to argue!

Must wonder, though: is the University of Kentucky suddenly getting letters meant for London, Cardiff, and Edinburgh?

P.S. I'm glad that things like this perplex you. It's a perk (symptom?) of the 99% thing. :o)