Thursday, February 5, 2009

Choosing a flat

Today was a very good day flat hunting. I saw 6 places and liked all of them. While the last 2 weren't my favorite, I wouldn't be miserable in them. This is a huge improvement over my search 2 weeks ago where I wasn't crazy about all 7 the relo agent and I saw.

Anyway, I am now trying to choose between two - ave de Suffren and rue Edmond Valentin (photos of all posted on Flickr).

Suffren is classic French with its floor-to-ceiling window/doors in the living and dining room - which are connected but separated by wood/glass doors (ok I have ZERO knowledge of architecture terms). Great crown molding on top of walls/ceiling. Fireplaces in each room. Juliette balcony off both, I think I could squeeze my camping chair there. Good closet space in the hallway (typical). Nice kitchen (I'd have to supply all appliances except cook top). 1 bedroom decent size. Other bedroom would be good for a twin bed. 1 bathroom w/ an EU tub (i.e. shower head isn't up above, but just is handheld) and the other bathroom has a square shower. All stuff in bathroom and kitchen new. There is a courtyard area in the entry where you can store bicycles (unusal to have such space in Paris evidently). I would have to buy all indow hardware and drapes, and there are just lightbulbs hanging from ceiling so it'd be Ikea time for me. It's 5th floor and south facing, so daylight. It's on a pretty major street, but quiet up that high.

Valentin is super modern. It is 6th floor "loft" - super high ceilings with skylights (that actually can open via remote control). It has a "US kitchen" which means it is open to the joint living/dining area. (All other kitchens here are separate rooms w/ doors that close it off.) Off and open to the living/dining area is a tiny area that could have a chair and TV, or a desk. More like a nook, w/o much light. There is a walk-in closet, but more shelf than hanging space. I have zero fashion sense and I still find this appealing. The bedroom is decent sized, but not a rectangle so it was difficult to envision my bed in there. 1 bathroom, off master bed (another toilet is off living area) that has a tub and a shower and is all new. This whole flat is new and no one has ever lived there. If you stand at the living/dining windows are look right, you can see the Eiffel Tower (not my favorite Paris thing). I'd have to get all kitchen appliances, and I'm not crazy about the cabinet layout. It's on a quiet side street between 2 major streets. Very quiet up that high.

I like Suffren because it is more classic French. Valentin's location is closer to church, and to the Seine / Rive Droit. Suffren is just 10m2 larger. I wouldn't have to buy more funiture for Valentin ; but then I wonder if it isn't time I owned more living room furniture than an Ikea chair and footstool and a side table. Suffren is more open in terms of access to air ; while Valentin is super bright, it is due to skylights and windows that are about chest height - i.e. if you're sitting down you don't see out much. And, can you really see me living on a street that has a name close to Valentine? i.e. hearts, love and sentimentality?

Comments / thoughts / suggestions welcome!!! (Remember to check out the photos on Flickr)

4 comments:

MD said...

Ok sounds to me from your descriptions you found more pros for Ave de Suffren. I checked out the pics and for starters as much as we are more inclined to get 'modern', we're in Paris...gotta live like the French!!

I prefer Ave de Suffren. I do not like the layout of Valentine (what is up with that weird shelf in the bedroom, guess using all space avail!).

My comments on Ave de Suffren:
- Altho you're on a busy street, which I assume is similar to mines, it does quiet down at night and any noise becomes secondary after awhile. Gosh you lived in college student central!
- Who cares about skylight...how much 'sun' have you gotten in Paris thus far?
- I had the same dramas with appliances...we'll have a Darty date!
- Still walking distance to church for you.
- You're close to everything, shopping, farmers market, gym, Eiffel (altho you're not a fan) and most importantly...ME!! :o)
- I repeat your comment to me on Sat - "we are Aquarius, we are NOT hearts people"

I really see you at Ave de Suffren more...so that's my vote.

TAL said...

Each one of these flats seem to have their pro's and con's. All of them have some great architectural detail from the exterior to the crown molding along the ceiling and so on! It sounds like the con's, from what you mentioned are not deal breakers by any means.

I'm sure whatever decision you make you will be happy with. They all seem like really great places.

Anonymous said...

This is like watching House Hunters International without the voiceovers. Love it!

I choose Suffren. You mentioned it first and said more positive things about it. And, I can't overemphasize enough the importance of being able to physically sit down and enjoy looking out the window or balcony. The Valentin option is compelling for the newness and beams, but that porthole window would drive me nuts!

Suffren's floors are great, the fireplaces (working?) are a warm touch, and the details are fabulous. Can't wait to see it in person!

Tiggs said...

i think suffren looks more you :) very nice place!