Sunday, October 26, 2008

Football (American style) ... and Poppies

NFL and Sundays (and a jigsaw puzzle in front of the TV). Life is good. It reminds me of last season when my friends and I would get together in a bar in Boston and watch the Pats play. What a great way to spend a Sunday.

Some comments from watching...

There are no commercials. In place of this, there are other announcers - the British guy looks like he's about 20 and has never gotten dirty in his life. There's another guy, and then Jerry Rice. They're doing a good job. The announcers during play are the same CBS guys you in the States listen to. Kudos to the announcers for wearing poppies* on their lapels.

I don't think I remember hearing the song "God Save the Queen" before - I was surprised that it's the same melody as used in the US song that ends with "...from every mountainside, let freedom ring." (oh, right, My Country Tis of Thee) - is it the same tune? Must google/wiki this.

It's halftime. They're showing clips and there used to be a Europe league or something? They just showed a clip and said "touchdown London." That just sounds wrong. London Monarchs?

* Poppies
An emblem on tombstones to signify eternal sleep. From ancient Greece, to symbolise resurrection after death. In the UK, it is used for wartime rememberance and you see it everywhere now, as we are approaching Rememberance Day on Nov. 11. You can read more here.

The significance is also shown in the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae, a front line personnel in WWI from the Royal Canadian Army:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Part of the six mos. I spent in London in 05 included Rememberance Day, and I loved the poppies everywhere, on people's lapels, etc. I think it's such a nice, understated, classic gesture for the veterans.

Speaking of Brit holidays, isn't Guy Fawkes coming up as well? I wanted to get into this when I lived there and go to a effigy burning or something, but none of the Brits at my work game me the impression that anyone really got into it. (However, Simon claims he went every year growing up.)