Sunday, August 30, 2009

I've been in the wrong pew this whole time.

I went to church at the American Church in Paris this morning. I went to the 9 a.m. service instead of the 11 a.m. since I was going to brunch at Marissa's and then to the Musee d'Orsay. I discovered the 9 a.m. service to be soooo much better than the 11 a.m. - less people, no fussy children, no fidgeting people, no latecomers shoving into pews, etc.

It was communion Sunday so we all got up to walk up front and take it. As I was walking, I was looking at the small plaques on the end of each pew which indicate who it is in honor/memory of. And when I saw this one, at the same time I got a huge grin on my face and a pang of sadness in my heart. Imagine, a bit of Old South here in Paris with me! I've been going to church there for a year and never saw this! I've been sitting in a pew 'donated' by a church in Newton, Mass., for something 'close by'. Now, I guess I have to change seats - but this one is much closer to the front than I'd prefer. (which, as the saying goes - why do people fight for front row seats to a concert, but fight for the back in church?).

1 comment:

Kate said...

This is excellent!