Sunday, August 9, 2009

Everybody's on the Phone

I got a new laptop at work this week as part of the company’s job to get us upgraded to Vista (from Office 2001). Of course, it is a full year project for our Branch. I was interviewed back in April regarding what software I use, programs, language preferences, etc. Four months later, voila. I guess I shouldn’t complain too much, I did get it in August, the month of nearly full-unemployment in Paris as everyone takes 2-6 weeks holiday.


I opted for a French keyboard (AZERTY, not QWERTY) because you can change the settings so it types as if it were the latter - this way if the laptop is given to a French person to use, or if I want to type in French, it’s easier.


However, I did opt for English software (Microsoft Vista). There was no way I was going to continue to suffer with keyboard shortcuts (i.e. CTRL-G for bold, while CTRL-B deletes or closes a program or something sinister like that) Nor was I going to try to learn Vista in another language.


How do I feel about Vista....? BLECH.


It seems like a 3rd grader helped develop the format/layout of all the menu bars. in Excel, Word & PowerPoint - it’s set up more to look pretty than to be functional. I hope I’m not in a hurry any time the next few weeks because there is not much logical in terms of how things are named nor arranged, nor are there many similarities with Windows XP - in my opinion.


Vista reminds me a lot of the operating interface of my MacBook, and that just makes me angry. Is Bill Gates trying to be like Steve Jobs or something? Does Microsoft think that by making its software look similar to iWork that it’ll prevent people from becoming Mac users, or convince Mac users to buy a PC?


For example : there is a tool bar on the desktop that has a calendar, clock, news fee, and options to add other things. Hmmm...it’s just the Dock in Mac, but not as good. The setup of what was Windows Explorer now looks a lot like Finder in Mac. Even things in Excel, how sheets are arranged, is more like Numbers in iWork.


What really irks me is that I liked using a PC at work and a Mac at home - the programs were different enough that my brain could differentiate. Now, my brain is just all sorts of confused.


And, I’ve only had the new PC for 6 hours at work. It’s going to be a long week this week and a more loathsome Monday than usual.

No comments: