Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever

Some random thoughts I've been accumulating the past few days....


--Why does my refrigerator sound like it has a cricket living inside it? (And the fridge is only 4 months old.)


--Why can’t a girl just buy a pot watcher if she wants one? My mom has one and I think it’s the greatest thing ever. However, trying to find one in a store in the U.S. is impossible. Suggestions?


--Why is it when I decide to go to Starbucks after church, to pay an exorbitant 4.50 EUR (6.40 USD) for a chai latte, and to sit and read, that the are always 3-5 groups of people with young children? And these young children are ALWAYS annoying, loud, screeching, pounding on tables, etc. I ALWAYS end up storming out of the place in anger.


--Why is there always ONE person in church who cannot read the prayer in the bulletin, or recite the Lord’s Prayer, at the same cadence as everyone else? Why must said person always be a few words ahead or behind? Certainly it should be obvious that he/she is off-beat and adjust? And why must these people always be within earshot of me?


--Don't know what it was at work today, but it was first day in three weeks where I was fantasizing about the Jameson & Ginger I was going to have on the commute home. Tastes soooo goooood....


--I really really detest / despise / hate when I’m in meetings and other people are on their BlackBerrys. Not just checking the time or a quick message, but sitting there head down, frantically pounding the tiny keys into oblivion while replying. Hello, I’m talking to YOU and asking you questions. Get your head out of your a$$ and pay attention in the meeting and stop wasting my time. (This megativity also stems from the fact that a few of the people weren’t listening to me in the meeting (half of it I was leading), weren’t reading the information I sent out, and obviously hadn’t paid attention or read the information six months ago the last time we went over this strategy exercise. Oh, sorry if the forecast of the group’s operations isn’t interesting to you... whine whine whine.)


--When did work stop being fun, exciting, challenging, engaging, etc? Well, I could tell you but then it’d just be depressing that I never quit. Time to do the 4-1 countdown (1/1/11).


--I don’t know if it’s the whole company, but at least our branch is working on an H1N1 (aka hi-ni to some of us) contingency plan. Not so much what would we do if 50% of our workforce died, but rather, can they work from home if necessary. And get this, the fear isn’t for infection in the winter, but rather in September when the whole population gets sucked back into Paris on some sort of giant rubberband that let them escape on holiday for 3-6 weeks. We Americans in office are trying to stop shaking everyone’s hands each morning, but it’s so engrained into the French psyche that it’s like asking them to give up wine, bread, and cheese.


--I’ve found a good way to lose weight : be so tired when you get home from work that you have just enough energy to have a bowl of cereal for dinner.


--And seriously, why was the financial ‘crisis’ that ‘hit’ last September such a surprise to everyone? If you look at most of the economic figures (fx rates, unemployment, job creation, GDP, ISM indices, etc.), they were all going down starting since at least March-2008, if not 3-6-9 months prior.



1 comment:

Howard said...

I can help on a few:

The Internet is good at letting you buy things: http://www.sightconnection.com/potwatcher.html

Try a different Starbucks. I assume there's one across the street. :) And seriously, there isn't a better place to go for coffee in Paris than Starbucks? Or even to sit and drink it after you got it go?

If you're doing such H1N1 planning, be sure to watch this (can they work from home for a year?): http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/laurie_garrett_on_lessons_from_the_1918_flu.html

People weren't surprised that the housing bubble burst, but they were surprised at how many intertwined credit default swaps there were and how the housing bubble bursting could bring down the financial industry.