Thursday, December 4, 2008

Don't Chu-Know

The cities: where people take a great deal of time and effort…personality is a full-time job down in the cities.

This is from the November 24th News from Lake Wobegon, from NPR’s A Prairie Home Companion. I really like that assessment. It reminds me of a quotation I had written down, but cannot remember the source (book? TV? Movie?) – the character ‘no longer had the energy to be completely superficial’.

How true is. Really makes me think about in what ways I am superficial, or how tiresome it is keeping up appearances. And, I think I’m fairly low key. I know some people for whom this really is a full-time job. I feel sorry for them.

As the Buffett lyrics go :
You can sing every song that’s been sung
Conquer the moon and the sun
But if you asked me it’s all both been said and been done

It’s true. We’re all in this race full of pretenses, and what does it really prove? Where does it get us?

Personality is a full-time job down in the cities

He/she no longer had the energy to be completely superficial Just interesting to ponder.

No comments: