Friday, July 11, 2008

Weather With You

Well, I tried to get culture tonight, but got rained out. Gwen & her visiting friend, Marissa & her visiting mother and her visiting friend and I all went to the open air theatre in Regent’s Park to see Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. (And why is there an F in twelfth, that just doesn't seem right.) Sounds lovely and cultured, right? The park is beautiful – with a decent sized pond, amazing flowers and landscaping, and great walkways.

The theatre is open air and very charming, but when it isn’t even 55F outside (I swear I saw my breath a few times), and windy and rainy, the charm slowly fades. It actually felt like being at a Red Sox game in April. Everyone bundled up, huddled under umbrellas, braving the rain hoping that the game (show) will continue. What I can’t figure out though is why they would have non water resistant cushions on all the seats? This is London. It rains a lot (supposedly – this was the fist week of bad weather since I moved here).

But, the rain continued so the show was cancelled about 20-30 minutes into it. At least we can exchange our tickets for a future show. And a good thing, too, as I just couldn’t concentrate enough to follow all the dialogue. I know the story line because I looked up a summary online, but I just couldn’t follow the lines.

The best part of the evening was waiting for Marissa at the Tube stop. Gwen, her friend & I were outside and saw, no joke, 75-100 old white men walking by at various intervals, no more than two together, more often alone, in blazers with orange/yellow striped ties. Truly bizarre. None seemed to have wedding bands, were all a bit disheveled, more of the 'crazy professor' type than businessman. A few had gigantic umbrellas with MCC on them - turns out, they were all from the Lord's Cricket Ground just up the road. Explainable, but still weird.


No comments: