Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Snow Day"

Today is what I'm calling my first official French "snow day". But there's no snow (just the same drab, grey skies). Instead, there are strikes (protests) all over France today, which means public transportation is affected. What I find fascinating is that these protests, and potential disruptions, were announced a week in advance, and everyone is ok with it. You just plan ahead for getting to work (book a taxi, work from home, walk, etc.) I'm calling it my "snow day" because it's like when I first moved to Boston - the first big snow, I stayed home - partly because I had never really driven in that much snow before and partly because I just wanted to experience it, watching the news, walking outside, etc. The next big snow, I was ready to go to work and comiserate about my commute with my coworkers (the other aspect of a 'snow day' - the 'survivor' mentality in the office environment, everyone patting themselves on their backs for braving it out and making it in). So, my first French strike - I'm staying home. The next one, maybe I'll walk to work.

You can read about it in English on the BBC or Intl Herald Tribune. (Although their coverage is buried on their websites and minmal.)

If you are adventurous, or want to see more news, or see photos, you can read in French on Le Monde and Le Figaro. For more leftist, go to La Liberation.

What have I learned from this strike, and it's only 8 a.m.? (1) Always have travel insurance (Air France flights are cancelled) ; (2) working from home is much more pleasant and productive for me these days ; (3) I know just enough French to be dangerous (in trying to understand the news on the radio) ; and, (4) This entire strike thing (manifestation) is just so beyond my comprehension. I think "strike" is the wrong translation - it's more like a protest. But, a protest in which many unions take part. I mean, imagine if people in the States went on strike for a day to protest that the government do more to protect their wages and jobs? The rest of the country would likely call them greedy and look upon them unfavorably. Here, it's just another day.

1 comment:

Tiggs said...

My solution to the food issues:

http://www.cupcakesandco.fr/


http://littlemisscupcakeparis.blogspot.com/