Thursday, January 29, 2009

French Megativity

You know me, glass-is-half-full, so it’s time for some “megativity”. Where to begin….I’ll just do this in random fashion…

--I am sick of eating in the “canteen” for lunch (aka cafeteria). It reminds me of high school all over again. Remember : when it was nearly impossible to find a table to sit with your friends, or if you didn’t get to the table with them, there was never room for you (which, btw, just prompted me to then eat lunch nearly every day in the student newspaper office by myself)? Remember : the choices of food, while mildly palatable, lost their allure after one week? Remember : you could predict the menu choices for the rest of the week on Monday because (a) the menu was always the same every day of the week (i.e. chicken Tuesday, fish Wednesday…) or (b) you knew the meat on Monday would merge with the pasta on Tuesday to become some combined dish on Wednesday…

--My heel caught on the hem of my pants Monday (the hem is like a cuff, on the outside) and ripped – not bad, only ripped on the seam. But, now I have to try to find a seamstress or tailor or whatever they have here to get it fixed. And since nothing is open by the time I get home (7 p.m.) and there is NOTHING by the office, this means it has to wait until a Saturday when I’m sure the rest of the world is waiting in line.

--I got my Paris office BlackBerry, so now I have two of them, and until I’ve merged everything to my French computer/email, I get to carry both of them around – my guess is that I won’t be fully merged and converted for about 6 months. The added bonus? The French BlackBerry is an azerty keyboard, not a qwerty one.

--Why is it in hotels, or now in my temporary housing, when the cleaning person comes in, does this person find it necessary to move, thus touch, my toothbrush. Gross. And if I move the trashcan from one location to another every day, why do you move it back? And if I always leave the same light on, why do you turn it off and turn another on? I obviously have things set up how I like them, so don’t move them!

--And speaking of hotels, does anyone else also check to see if the Gideons have placed a Bible in the bedside drawer? I’m beginning to think I should donate money to them because I’d say 85% of the time I take it out and read it. I have noticed however that the French boutique hotels have not been visited by the Gideons.

--Also in hotels, why are the light switches always so screwy? I mean, is it the main switch by the door you have to flip for everything else to work ; or in some fun cases, you have to insert your door key card in this switch and then everything works. Or the switch in the entryway turns on two lamps, but then if you want to turn one of them off good luck. And using the switches by the bedside is inevitably its own version of “who’s on first” when you’re trying to get the lights off, or just one on.

--Lastly, what do you know about Paris in winter? Nothing, I’m guessing. No wonder people don’t talk about it, and no wonder why Paris comes “alive” in the spring with people outside, at cafes, at parks, etc. It’s because winter is depressingly grey, drab, cold and windy, and overall annoying. It is just not pretty here now.

Ok, a lot of complaints, I know. So I take the advice of a colleague (friend) who is also glass-is-half-full-feeling right now, and ask myself “What do I have the power to change?”. That will take a few days to contemplate.

No comments: