Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Crazy church coincidence

Monday night I went to the new member meeting at the American Church in Paris. It was it good to learn more about the "inner workings" of ACP, and it was interesting to hear the journeys everyone has taken to arrive at ACP's doorstep. While I like what I've seen, heard and felt at ACP, at this point, I'm only ready to be an "associate member" - basically, I am not ready nor willing to "cancel" my membership at Old South!!

(Note: being a "member" basically gives you the right to vote on the budget, the church council and such. You can still be involved in the church without being a member).

When I got home after the meeting and checked my email, I had the daily devotional update from the UCC. I just couldn't believe the connection between the devotional, titled "Not another moving day", and the new member meeting :

"The Bible is full of stories of people who move. Usually, they are not choosing to move. They are compelled to move, to flee for their lives, or to follow a divine calling. This is still why most people move. They flee political oppression, or they long to improve their lives. Immigrants are daring people. They do not play it safe. In my own life, all that chaos had within it one steady stream, and that was the church. While we couldn't always attend the same church, wherever we moved, we found a spiritual home. Church was my one constant in a changing world. ... I never doubted that God was with me in my latest home and that together, we were on a great adventure." (by Lillian Daniel, First Congregational Church, UCC, Glen Ellyn, IL)

Wow - Church was my one constant in a changing world - how true! God is good. All the time!

No comments: