Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Newspapers

So this annoyed (annoys) me....

Last week in the office, one colleague from the London office was in town and had brought in the International Herald Tribune from the hotel. He then commenced to rave about this newspaper and how every.single.article was superb. I tried to say that yes, I agreed and have been reading it online the past year. That affirmation fell on deaf ears as he continued to say how much he loves to read it. Me being a bit annoyed, I said, well, it's nothing new, after all, it is the New York Times and that is a paper known for its journalism. He wouldn't hear any of it - the fact that I was trying to associate the IHT with the NYT was beyond him, that the IHT was leaps and bounds above it. I even said that if you go to the old IHT website (IHT.com), you are directed to the NYT's Global Edition.

Of course, this took me on a tangent of how I'm peeved with the NYT gobbling up newspapers (i.e. threat against Boston Globe) and how this will not bode well for local investigative journalism and will lead to the power in the hands of the few (where, I realise it has been for decades, but now they're not trying to hide it because the populace is too lazy to care). Of course, said colleague had no comment on this and instead just made some other comment about the IHT.

Anyway, just a little venting. Enjoy.

No comments: