Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vacuums

First, updates from my Facebook posts this week :


Last Sunday, Feb 7 : If my BlackBerry had a camera, I could have posted a picture of the 17 blokes, all wearing helmets, in a single file line, in front of the Eiffel Tower, riding Segways.


Last Sunday, Feb 7 : Since the Patriots aren't playing, the Super Bowl doesn't exist for me. The Red Sox report for Spring Training in 10 days. (update - equipment trucks left for Florida!)


Friday, Feb 12 : So happy to be living in a place where it appears that no one cares much about (1) the Olympics ; (2) the We Are the World remake ; and (3) Valentines Day.


Friday, Feb 12 : Happy Birthday Cassie!!



Today...


I had yet another thrilling and exciting morning in the life of a single woman in Paris. I bought a vacuum. Since I bought 2 rugs in Marrakech, I figured I needed one. And my 2nd bedroom has carpet, which I have not vacuumed since I moved in, but as consolation I told myself that all I use it for is drying laundry so it couldn’t be that dirty.


Anyway, two weekends ago I looked at vacuums at Darty (electronics store) but there was too much choice, and I was shocked at the prices. So I went to a local store on Rue Cler today, which only sells vacuums, pretended I understood the woman’s French, and picked one. (Note : Rue Cler is one of the best pedestrian/market streets in Paris. Now overrun with tourists thanks to Rick Steves - but, he doesn’t include this vacuum store in his map!)


And, I’m surprisingly happy! The thing really cleans! And, I did some online research after the fact (a trait of mine ... buy something now, see if price decreases later or if better seats available ; or buy something now and then research to see if there was something better). Turns, out, the price I paid is comparable to what is on Amazon, and this little bit of German engineering gets great marks! Whew. I got the Miele S4212, but in the only color available, maroon (of course I would’ve preferred a shade of blue).


Now, I am procrastinating from doing my US taxes, a Health Assessment form, and balancing my bank statements.


No comments: