Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change Can Happen




Well, it’s a big day in the UK – Guy Fawkes Day – which is actually one of the specific things I remember from senior year high school AP European History. Basically, a foiled attempt to blow up Parliament (fun trivia : as a result, the basement of Parliament is searched every day). There are fireworks (aka bonfires) all over the place, and they’ve been going on for a week or so, and probably will continue for another week. As my landlady said (paraphrasing) ‘this is the only place where people celebrate almost killing their king!’.

Am I out celebrating? Nope. I chose to stay home at watch last night’s The Daily Show : Indecision 2008. That’s right, they’re actually showing on the More 4 channel the episode from Election Night – yeah!!! It was kind of sad for me here as I wasn’t able to celebrate with friends when results came in. All day I sat at my computer with a goofy grin and just an overall great feeling inside. Wow.

Anyway, The Daily Show was good, but the jokes weren’t as strong as usual; well, they got funnier as the show went on. Understandable because it was an emotionally charged night, full of nerves. Interesting how they were reporting state results with only 20-40% reporting – when comparing with the final map with 100% reporting, the early results were about 95% accurate. That’s pretty amazing. Was surprised at how quickly, and almost under his breath, John Stewart announced that Barack Obama was the winner.

The pessimist in me was ‘expecting the worst, hoping for the best’, thus expecting a McCain win and thus preparing to live in France the next 4 years. Thank you for making it appealing for me to move back to the States earlier, if I so choose. (Granted, I also realize I’m less likely to have many of you visiting and staying with me in Paris for extended periods of time!) Anyway, to all of you who voted for Obama/Biden, thank you (thank you Ohio!!!).

No comments: