Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Don't Chu-Know

One of the other things that has been weighing on my mind (there have been several), is something my friend Vivian told me when I was at Cornwall’s a few weeks ago (on my 2nd weekend in Boston last month). She said she’s learned more about me from reading my blog than she knew about me before. And we’ve known each other for several years – granted, we’d see each other about once a week at Cornwall’s on Fridays after work, and once a month for dinner, but still!

In one case, it makes me glad that I have this blog, no matter how infrequently I write in it, because if people I see regularly don’t know me that well, then most likely friends I see twice a year when I’m in Cincinnati must not know me at all!

But, on the other, it makes me wonder if I just don’t share things with people. Am I anti-social?

Neither thought is one that I can explain/expound upon more. But Vivian’s statement does trouble me – I just cannot put my finger on how or why. I feel like the character on Earth in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy who is about to discover the meaning to all life but then Earth is blown up to make room for a new outer space super highway. I’m just on the verge of understanding something more about myself, but it’s just out of reach.

The title of this post is a Buffett song, two lines go: “The more we learn the less we know; What you keep is what you can’t let go.” I wonder if that is applicable somehow?

3 comments:

Tiggs said...

hmm interesting. i have learned more about you since you started your blog- but its more random stuff as opposed to real substance "who you are" sort of stuff. For example- I learned here that you don't watch the olympics- not a real "who you are" sort of thing, just a little factoid. In general I think you are very good at listening and commenting on other people's lives and situations and because you are more than willing to let someone else do all the talking (as opposed to spending lots of time talking about yourself) it could seem to others that you don't share as much. I talk about myself WAY too much and sometimes I wish I would do a lot less of it. I don't think you do it on purpose, its just you. If someone really wants to know you and they spend any quality time with you they will. You're not quiet. Just choosy in where, how and in whom you confide.

Anonymous said...

Megs--some people are more the type to express in the written word than spoken. I consider myself a "writer" and I think you fall in that category too. The neat thing about a blog is that we all get to understand that part of you a little more. :)

Anonymous said...

Megs-- sorry, I'm not anonymous. That's Martha writing! :)