Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Best, simplest dinner ever

I am in Paris for work this week (again). And, no, it is not glamorous. The Eurostar always makes me feel about 20% queasy. Just enough to make me feel weird, but not enough to actually be sick, or not go in to the office. I’ve tried eating / not eating; drinking / not drinking (free wine in business premier class); sleeping; doing work. Nothing seems to work. And I’m not a motion sick type of person in cars or planes. Can read happily there.

Met two colleagues / friends at near their hotel for dinner tonight (there are about 10 of us from London here this week). (Why am I not at their hotel? Well, always best to stay near one’s boss, in terms of location and price…) Anyway. Got off the Metro at Ave Victor Hugo, got off at exit Ave Raymond Pic… and started walking. Got to Avenue Foch and basically said Fooccchhhh! I knew I had gone the wrong way. This is about the widest Blvd ever, and richest street in the city I think. Turned around, walked UP the hill, and met my friends. We had dinner. Fan-tab-u-lous! The goat cheese (chevre) salad was perfect. Just lettuce, three pieces of toasted baguette (crostini?) upon each was placed a huge slice of chevre thicker and wider than the bread. Had great wine. Had crème brulée for dessert. My absolute favorite (after Graeter’s chocolate chip ice cream of course). This was the BEST crème brulée ever. No pretenses. Just basic vanilla. In a dish nearly the length of my forearm. Perfect. Thank you and good night!

No comments: