Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happiness

I am still thinking about the amazing sermon given at the American Church in Paris Sunday. With references to French philosophers, modern literature and consumerism and how it relates to the Gospel, it was great. The subject was ‘Resilient Joy’ and I’m still thinking of the question posed : ‘What did you pursue this week thinking it would bring you happiness?’


Rev Laurie Wheeler continued by saying the pursuit of happiness won’t cut it, but rather we must find the source of it. (Of course, as this was a church sermon, one answer is that our salvation is the source.)


What also really impressed me was that I was not too impressed by Rev Wheeler’s candidating sermon a few months ago, nor by her resume / biography. This was a pleasant surprise. For that little does of megativity, I think she speaks too fast and uses too many idioms / sarcasm in her humor (of course I love this aspect) ; but for a congregation where for many English is a second language, I think a bit is lost.


You can listen to the sermon here.

No comments: